Six Things To Do Under the L.A. Sun: Top Outdoor Experience Gifts in the City of Angels
Los Angeles. The City of Angels, home to Hollywood and so many artists (one in six works in the creative industry) it’s earned the nickname, Creative Capital of the World. It follows New York City for most populous city in the United States, but there’s more to this city than its big buildings and industry.
L.A. boasts a Mediterranean climate with under fifty rainy days a year, craggy coastlines and rolling surf, hidden coves carved into the continental shelf, chaparral-covered countrysides, local vineyards, and a dusty ring of mountains. Residents revel in the ubiquitous sunshine and endless open water. Los Angeles, in a word: abundant. Abundant sunshine, ocean, culture, industry, beauty.
If there’s an underappreciated facet to this city, it’s the natural landscape. But with these six outdoor experience gifts in L.A., the countryside opens up and hidden gems outside the city are unearthed.
1. Kayak to Dinner on the Dunes. Imagine settling in to a grilled, beach-style picnic dinner on the sand dunes, sipping on local wine or beer as the sun dips under the watery horizon. Perfect experience gifts for couples, these evening excursions take you kayaking alongside local wildlife through Morro Bay, docking your boats on the beach and then hiking up the sand where a guide prepares dinner as the sun sets.
2. Bridge to Nowhere Bungee Jump. Forget five seconds of freefall. This bungee jumping experience begins with a five mile hike through Angeles National Forest, hugging the curves of a meandering river and arriving at Bridge to Nowhere, steep canyon walls dropping ten stories below.
3. Newport Beach Whale Watching. Sail off the coast of Southern California for an afternoon whale-spotting, watching humpbacks, minkes, blue whales and other marine life as they cruise past on migration.
4. Box Canyon Bike Ride. California’s Mojave and Colorado Deserts are home to some of the world’s most stunning geological displays. This guided bike ride through Box Canyon leads you down twelve-hundred feet in elevation on a single, meandering road to views of the Salton Sea and Mt. San Jacinto, while your guide narrates historical, geological and botanical trivia of the area.
5. Wine Country Cycling. Head north out of town for a cycling tour of Southern California’s famous wine country. The tour travels through local wineries and vineyards where you’ll get the chance to sample boutique wines, finishing with a gourmet picnic in the rolling, vine-studded hills.
6. Night Diver Scuba Class. Perfect for scuba enthusiasts and beginners alike, this night-time diving excursion reveals a whole different perspective on popular diving sites. Learn the basics of scuba, including how to navigate and communicate at night, and witness the nocturnal sea life come out to play in the moonlight.